Welcome to my recipe blog! I started it when my brother, Mark, moved away and was in need of some recipes....or so I thought.... The goal is to post recipes that can be made quickly, easily, and inexpensively. If you have something to contribute, please let me know and I will be glad to add it!!

Friday, February 29, 2008

Spaghetti Lover's Soup

I got this recipe from my friend Jean (naturecoastcrafter on SCS)......

Hey Mel: I borrowed your recipe for Chicken Alfredo Soup, so I'm sending a payback. I found this soup in a magazine and we had it this week. It was so good, my husband was even eating it cold from the refrigerator instead of his nightly ice cream. Remember school lunch spaghetti, this was a nostalgia trip back there!

Spaghetti Lover's Soup
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 small green sweet pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups water
2 14-1/2 ounce cans diced tomatores
1 13-to 15-ounce jar spaghetti sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Dash crushed red pepper
2 ounces dried spaghetti broken into 2-inch pieces

In large saucepan or dutch overn, cook meat, onion, sweet pepper, celery, carrot, and garlic over medium heat until vegetables are tender and meat is no longer pink. Drain off excess fat. Add water, undrained tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, and black and red pepper. Bring to boiling. Add broken spaghetti. Return to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until spaghetti is tender. Serve immediately.

Yield: 6 Servings

No comments: