Welcome to my recipe blog! I started it when my brother, Mark, moved away and was in need of some recipes....or so I thought.... The goal is to post recipes that can be made quickly, easily, and inexpensively. If you have something to contribute, please let me know and I will be glad to add it!!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hummus

One of my favorites! Shannon emailed me this recipe from a friend of hers.

-I normally use a large 29 oz can of chick peas for a batch. I believe that is roughly equivalent to 2 regular cans. I have also used black beans instead of chick peas with fantastic results.
-It is important to drain and rinse the chick peas, because the liquid can tend to be bitter. Some brands of chick peas taste better than others. I use La Preferida.
-Obviously, the chick peas need to be blended to make hummus. I use our blender, because it holds more than our wimpy food processor. The challenge is getting the right amount of liquid so that the hummus can blend but also maintain a nice consistency. I use a spatula to help the blender along.
-Many hummus recipes call for lemon, which helps counter the natural bitterness of the chick peas. (you can also use tahini - my note)Garlic, either fresh, roasted, or powered is another ingredient commonly used. Water or oil can be used to the liquid in hummus.
-There are many other ingredients that can be added, such as roasted red peppers, green olives, hot pepper, vinegar, paprika, parsley, basil, turmeric, just to name a few.



-With that in mind, this is my most common recipe:


1 big can of chick peas
1 lemon juiced
1 lime juiced
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves of garlic minced and sauteed in oil until brown
1 Tablespoon of red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon of minced parsley
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
water if needed for blending





A less volatile and simpler recipe would be:


1 big can of chick peas
1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of dried parsley and/or basil
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
salt and pepper to taste
water if needed for blending





I found this recipe online - using Tahini





· 1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans



· 1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas



· 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)



· 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini



· 2 cloves garlic, crushed



· 1/2 teaspoon salt



· 2 tablespoons olive oil

No comments: